Friday, June 1, 2018

Assignment 7A - Testing the Hypothesis, Part 1



1.     There are not enough seats in the libraries at UF for students to study at, especially during exam weeks.
2.     The Who: UF students
3.     The What: There are not enough seats in the libraries
4.     The Why: A large portion of the library is taken up by bookshelves and is not fashioned for sitting.

Testing the who: This problem is very general to the student body at UF, so the who includes all library going students on campus.

Testing the what: I intend to discover student’s feelings toward the issue of not being able to find a seat.

Testing the why: Here I intend to find out why the students believe this is an issue in the first place.

Interview 1: Conrad, a Junior at UF

How often do you go to the library? And which one?
-2-3 times per week, always west

How often do you get stuck looking for somewhere to sit? When does this usually occur?
-Every time, unless it is before 2.

Why do you think that this is an issue?
-There aren’t enough seats.

How do you think this could be fixed?
-If the bookshelves were moved and replaced with seats.

How would you feel adding seats would affect your studying?
-I’d be more inclined to go to the library because I know that I’d find a seat.


Interview 2: Jack, a Senior at UF

How often do you go to the library? And which one?
      -Five days a week, usually Newell and West.

How often do you get stuck looking for somewhere to sit? When does this usually occur?
      -All the time at both Libraries.

Why do you think that this is an issue?
      -I think that this is an issue because everyone goes to the library to study and there is a capacity issue.

How would you feel adding seats would affect your studying?
      -I think it would benefit me because I would spend less time worrying about finding a seat and more time actually getting work done.


Interview 3: Matt, a Sophomore at UF

How often do you go to the library? And which one?
      -Once or twice a week, Lib west

How often do you get stuck looking for somewhere to sit? When does this usually occur?
      -75% of the time, all the time.

Why do you think that this is an issue?
      -Because Lib West is a place that everyone goes and ends up socializing.

How would you feel adding seats would affect your studying?
      -I would get more distracted by the increased number of people.

Interview 4: Jon, a Graduate Student at UF

How often do you go to the library? And which one?
      -About four days a week. Library West.

How often do you get stuck looking for somewhere to sit? When does this usually occur?
      -It gets crowded during finals, but for the most part the graduate level isn’t too bad.

Why do you think that this is an issue?
      -Lack of seats for students.

How would you feel adding seats would affect your studying?
      -I don’t think it would really change much for me as it really isn’t an issue most of the time.


Interview 5: Ryan, a Junior at UF

How often do you go to the library? And which one?
      -I go to Marston about 4-5 times a week.

How often do you get stuck looking for somewhere to sit? When does this usually occur?
      -Almost never, but around 2-4 pm.

Why do you think that this is an issue?
      -Because there are a lot of people in the libraries.

How would you feel adding seats would affect your studying?
      -It would honestly hinder it because there are so many people already, but they should add them at West and Newell.

4) After conducting the interviews I found that not everyone was keen to the idea of more seating. This was an issue of being distracted while trying to study and I don’t think they took into account the time they wasted looking for a seat. Another factor that influencing the seating issue was which library the student goes to. Those who went to West and Newell found more problems than those who did not. I think that this opportunity is still promising and there are multiple solutions to this issue that would overall benefit UF students. 




2 comments:

  1. Hello Chris,

    When I'm studying in the library on campus I also find it irritating at times to find a seat, however I personally don't believe that an opportunity that destroys the libraries resources for space is possible. We must remember that if the library was to remove its shelves that would mean that knowledge would be removed (as many of them can't be digitally acquired). Overall I believe that the opportunity cost for more seating currently is too high.
    Good job on your details and your writing was well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,
    I totally agree with you about how there aren't enough seats at the library. I usually go to the third floor of Lib West and it is always so packed. I believe that there could be some solutions to this problem but overall nothing can be done immediately. I believe if we add more tables or space things out more seats will be available for use. Also I believe we shouldn't allow students to save seats for their friends. Great job!

    ReplyDelete