Friday, June 15, 2018

Assignment 13A - Reading Reflection No. 1



Steve Jobs, Walter Isaacson

1.     What surprised you the most?
a.     The thing that surprised me the most was Steve Jobs’ fascination with LSD. I had heard about how he used it in the past, but wasn’t fully aware of his fascination with it. I wasn’t really aware of how much it influenced him.

What about the entrepreneur did you most admire?
b.     What I admired the most about him was his drive and ambition. He created the most prominent technology company in the world out of his garage.


What about the entrepreneur did you least admire?
c.     His arrogance regarding his work, especially at Atari was the thing that I least admired about him. Being that arrogant starting out is not something I look up to or see in a positive way. It is important to treat people with respect and be humble.


Did the entrepreneur encounter adversity and failure? If so, what did they do about it.
d.     Jobs faced adversity right from the beginning. He was adopted and faced a lot of pressure to go to an Ivy League college. He had his sights set on Reed College though and ultimately didn’t let his parents come visit him while he was at school.

2.     What competencies did you notice that the entrepreneur exhibited?
a.     I think his creativity and his drive were unparalleled at the time. He created something that no one had seen before and had the drive to see it through even when times were tough in order to create Apple.

3.     Identify at least one part of the reading that was confusing to you
a.     One thing that was confusing to me was how Jobs treated his parents when he went to school. He did regret not allowing them to visit, but I just couldn’t wrap my head around why he would shut them out, even if he was following a path that was different from what they wanted.

4.     If you were able to ask two questions to the entrepreneur, what would you ask? Why?
a.     How did you stay motivated to keep working out of your garage through the highs and lows?
b.     How did you decide that starting your own company was the path for you?
c.     I would ask these questions because I want to see how his brain worked. I want to understand his thought processes on these huge decisions and try to learn what I can from how he thought and made decisions.  
5.     What do you think the entrepreneurs opinion was of hard work? Do you share that opinion?
a.     I think his opinion of hard work was that it is completely necessary and without it you can’t achieve what you want to. He demonstrated hard work at all times and that’s how he got to where he was. I wholeheartedly agree with this opinion, hard work is very important.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I all so decided to do my reading reflection on Steve Jobs! I too was kind of shocked to learn about his fascination with LSD, he doesn't really seem like the type of person to experiment with drugs. I do agree with you that his persistence and determination are definitely admirable. It takes a vast amount of dedication to practically create a company that eventually take over the tech industry. Overall, I really liked your answers to these questions regarding the book. I too agree that hard work definitely is important, especially when it comes to accomplishing your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris,

    I find it funny how both of the people I choose to do this assignment on choose this book. Steve was a massive influence and entrepreneur in the fields of computers and telephones.

    I agree with you on the fact that Steve's arrogance was unsightly and changed many a person's mind about the man at least in terms of his character, add in his LSD ideals and he is painted in a different light for many.

    I liked how you handled this assignment as it is easy to read, while still pointing out many new things I didn't know which is always welcomed.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete