1.
Pick a segment
a.
The segment I am choosing is public universities
with over 20000 students. I believe larger schools experience the library
seating issue more than smaller ones.
2.
Interviews
a.
I interviewed three different university administrators
in order to pick their brains on increasing library capacity and changing to a
more technological type of library. I was able to glean some useful insight on
how they thought the process would go. Not all of them were agreeable toward
the idea and I had to remove their interview from the assignment and try again.
5.
Report
the findings of your research
a.
Throughout this assignment I learned that not
everyone is on the same page about the seating situation at the school
libraries. Some people hold onto the traditional sense of a library and don’t
see the need to increase the seating capacity. That being said there are those
who see the value in implementing this idea and would gladly support this
movement if it were to take place.
6.
Draw
conclusions
a.
The segment that I explored overall has proper awareness
of the issue at hand. The main issue that arose is funding the project and
spending the time removing all of the books in the library.
Chris,
ReplyDeleteI can see how this idea could potentially be controversial among students. I can see how some students like the traditional library scene with bookshelves. However, I think it's uncommon for people to actually take advantage of those books as most students just use the library to do homework on their laptops or they bring their own books. A big question about this is what UF would do with all the hard copies of the books after removing them. Where would they go? Would we be able to donate them? I think there are a lot of questions that could be potentially asked about this but I think it's a great idea.
Chris,
ReplyDeleteI do see how switching the libraries could be very beneficial, but I could also see how universities wouldn't want to make this change. I believe that yes todays society is mostly online but there are some percentage fo students that prefer using books. But the biggest question is what would ultimately happen to these books if we get rid of them. Good job!
Salutations Chris,
ReplyDeleteFrom reading your post, I can come to understand how this may be potentially be met with conflict and confusion from students. You have proposed what may be controversial among students and faculty alike. I believe that as this world continues to advance we will replace more and more and only add to the infinitely growing cloud.
I believe that this can be accepted by all if it is done carefully, if they take the books and digitize them then most if not all students will rejoice with the new space.
Overall Good Job!