Monday, June 4, 2018

Assignment 8A - Solving The Problem


1)    The problem that I have chosen to solve is the seating problem at the Libraries on UF’s campus. The main issue here is that there are just not enough seats for the amount of students that go to the library to sit in. This causes a lot of time to be lost for students that are walking around looking for somewhere to sit. This is mainly seen at Library West, but can be applied to most libraries on campus.


2)    I believe that there is a simple solution to this problem. Library West contains countless bookshelves filled with books that no one really utilizes anymore. If UF created an online database for all of these books they could be removed and more tables and chairs could replace them. The bookshelves occupy a large amount of space in the library and swapping them out for tables and chairs would provide hundreds of extra seats for students that need to use the library.

5 comments:

  1. Chris,

    I think there is absolutely a problem with the amount of seating in the UF libraries. In my three years at UF, I have always noticed this issue but I never could think of a way to solve it. However, your idea to move all of the books over to electronic form would create a lot more space for seating. Great Idea and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    I do agree with you on that there are limited seats in the UF library. I have been a student for a year and whenever I want to study it is hard for me to find a spot. Your idea is very logical because everything is computerized anyway. This will open up more space for kids to study overall. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chris,

    I too have noticed that seating at certain libraries at certain times at the University of Florida. It sucks, and it needs to be addressed. Your idea is sound and logical and for that reasoning I can only offer my compliments. I hope they will make room however not at the cost of irreplaceable material, should it all be digital then go for it, if not proceed with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Chris,
    I can't tell you how many times I haven't been able to find seating at the libraries at UF! I believe that using the space that is being taken up by the shelves in library west to create more tables isa a great idea. You're right when you say no one really uses them anymore. Im sure students would appreciate the extra study space.

    ReplyDelete